Skip to main content

Breath of Life

"And the Lord God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and man became a living being." Genesis 2:7

The Breath of Life is my life source. I'm more than just a combination of chemical elements, of flesh and bone. I am alive. The Breath of life initiated my very being. When I breathe in deeply I inhale the life that God ordained for me since before the creation of the world. I breathe His fragrance, His holy aroma, because he heightens my senses and awareness of his grace and mercy. God breathed into my nostrils and I'm revived.

But when I hold my breath, I lose my breath because I'm trying to capture and contain that which is boundless and cannot be controlled. Pursuing the ways of the world, my own selfishness, makes me asthmatic. My soul feels the bearing down pressure to conform to the world. It will not release me without a fight. My depression shortens my breath and brings me humbly to my knees gasping for air.

And God, the Father is faithful. He resuscitates me with his love and power. His very presence makes demons shutter with terror. Yet my fear of Him makes me strong. He strengthens me with his word. By His grace I allowed to breathe again and again. Because of the Father, I am alive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Force of Divorce (part 1)

I don’t think we truly understand what divorce is and why God hates it. For example, if I gave you the Merriam Webster’s definition of divorce, the action or instance of legally dissolving a marriage , more than likely you'll find that definition insufficient. If you are divorced or your parents are divorced, you know that definition lacks depth and substance. It’s like a survivor of a devastating hurricane describing his experience as “I witnessed a tropical cyclone with winds of 156 mph that was accompanied by heavy rain thunder and lightning.” You know that surviving a category 5 hurricane is bit more involved than announcing a weather report. (Ask anyone who survived Hurricane Katrina.) And yet every survivor’s story is unique and personal. I especially believe we don’t get what divorce does to our children. I’m not saying that I completely understand it either. I’ve never been divorced, (not even close), but I do know how it affected me as a kid. ...

Day 19: Write in Someone Else’s Voice

The Coward The boy’s voice awakened the man.   He found shelter in the abandoned school, in what was once, his school, his office.   Eleven, twelve, and thirteen year old students once ran down those halls, hurrying to their classes, hurrying to his English class. Now since the incident, no children survived that massacre.   That thought made the man shake with fear until he drifted off to sleep.   So when the man heard the boy’s voice screaming “Help Me!, Please Help Me!”   it shook the man from his sleep.   The man laid still.   His heart pounded as he waited to hear boy again.   “Help me! Please Somebody!” The man heard the boy loud and clear.   He could not pretend it was some animal or dream.   He knew it was a boy. And it paralyzed him.   The man clutched his knees to his chest and tucked his chin.   He took slow deep breaths, silent breaths, hoping the boy would believe he was on his own, ...

breath taking

the essence of the mountain; i'm standing on it, our ecstasy, it captures love's atonement love...,can't buy...sell it or loan it purpose in this life, you know you want it, love's like blood, it's death's opponent it flows through your veins and arteries, don't it? but when you're cut, it burns like alcohol on it all the bads and the blames it's time we own it, prayers without words, sighs and groanings your spirit torn open, my soul is mourning but love's in the midst of the painful moments making love, is more than moves and moaning it's the spirit interlocking of man and woman the soul's always searching and constantly roaming but true love is only made when souls are growing.