Skip to main content

The Longing Part One: I Thirst


The other day, I got really thirsty. It was hot...everywhere, and I wanted a drink. I decided to break my own rules of drinking water. I wanted a soft drink, my favorite soft drink. I wanted a coke. So I went out and got me one, a large one. Easy ice, because they put too much ice in my fountain drinks at McDonald's. I had me a coke. And ain't gonna lie, it was good. I almost sucked half of it in one swallow. Before I made it back home, I was shaking a large empty cup. And I was more thirsty than I was before. On top of that, my stomach was swollen, filled with 32 ounces of coke-a-cola. Although I had a cold drink, my body was not satisfied. My body was still thirsty. Eventually I went to my frig and fixed me a cold glass of water. It was the best water I ever tasted.

I wondered how many times did I do this spiritually. My soul is thirsty for God but I go out of my way to try to quench my thirst with artificial flavors, looking for a quick fix; only to find myself even more thirsty than I was before.

"O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you in a dry and weary land where there is no water." Psalm 63:1

God is like a cold glass of water on hot August day. He quenches the thirst of those who cup their hands and drinks from His streams. A thirsty soul will never be refreshed by anything less than the drink of His fountain. (A lesson I've learned the hard way) I thirst.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 19: Write in Someone Else’s Voice

The Coward The boy’s voice awakened the man.   He found shelter in the abandoned school, in what was once, his school, his office.   Eleven, twelve, and thirteen year old students once ran down those halls, hurrying to their classes, hurrying to his English class. Now since the incident, no children survived that massacre.   That thought made the man shake with fear until he drifted off to sleep.   So when the man heard the boy’s voice screaming “Help Me!, Please Help Me!”   it shook the man from his sleep.   The man laid still.   His heart pounded as he waited to hear boy again.   “Help me! Please Somebody!” The man heard the boy loud and clear.   He could not pretend it was some animal or dream.   He knew it was a boy. And it paralyzed him.   The man clutched his knees to his chest and tucked his chin.   He took slow deep breaths, silent breaths, hoping the boy would believe he was on his own, ...

The Force of Divorce (part 1)

I don’t think we truly understand what divorce is and why God hates it. For example, if I gave you the Merriam Webster’s definition of divorce, the action or instance of legally dissolving a marriage , more than likely you'll find that definition insufficient. If you are divorced or your parents are divorced, you know that definition lacks depth and substance. It’s like a survivor of a devastating hurricane describing his experience as “I witnessed a tropical cyclone with winds of 156 mph that was accompanied by heavy rain thunder and lightning.” You know that surviving a category 5 hurricane is bit more involved than announcing a weather report. (Ask anyone who survived Hurricane Katrina.) And yet every survivor’s story is unique and personal. I especially believe we don’t get what divorce does to our children. I’m not saying that I completely understand it either. I’ve never been divorced, (not even close), but I do know how it affected me as a kid. ...

Real with God, Real with Life

One of the most entertaining, but pointless interactions with my kids is when they are telling me what they think I want to hear. They, of course, disagree because they're at a point of desperation. They're trying to convince me of something they think they want or need, all the while hoping that my already made up mind will change. When it doesn't, it's usually the end of the world. Again. In the process of growing closer to God, He made me aware of a similar pattern in own my life. For example, if I was in need of something from God, I thought it would be better to tell Him what I thought He wanted to hear from me, rather than what I really wanted to say. I struggled between feelings of guilt and a desire to express my maturity. The result usually ended up with me not being completely honest with myself and God. I've seen so many preachers endorsing a "blab it and grab it" approach to relating to God and calling it "holiness". I never...