Skip to main content

Breakfast of Champions


One evening, a fisherman and his some of his friends decided they were going to go and catch some fish.  So they climbed into their boat and sailed away from the shore and found a place where they were confident to find schools of fish, waiting to be caught.  Casting their net until the water, the experienced fishermen waited for the catch of the night.  It never came.  But fishermen are patient, so they waited longer.  Still no fish. Not even a tug from the net.  Unwilling to be undone or discouraged, they waited all night long.  Much to their dismay, they caught absolutely nothing.  There was nothing to show for their patience, experience and perseverance as seasoned fishermen.  They were a sad illustration of irony: Fishermen without a fish.  No story of the “one that got away”, because they all got away!

 Then early the next morning, while sailing back home, they noticed a silhouette of a man standing on the shore.  He appeared to be waiting for them, for some reason.  The man called out and asked if they had caught any fish.  Perhaps too tired to make excuses or fabricate a tale, they simply said no and waited for the jokes and the shame that usually comes with exposed failure.  But no sarcasm came from this man  No rebuke. No insulting humor.  The man, with a straight face, simply told them, if they threw their nets on the right side of the boat, they would find some fish.  It must have been worth a try, because they never argued or questioned such a ridiculous proposal.  They simply followed his advice and lo and behold, their net was filled fish! Large fish! No guppies or minnows, but a hundred and fifty-three large fish!  (who’s hungry by the way?) 

It was not long after their huge catch when one of them recognized that the mysterious man on the shore was no other the resurrected Jesus! A half naked Peter wrapped his clothes around him and jumped into the water to meet Jesus on the shore, leaving his buddies in the boat to tow in the catch of a lifetime.

When the others finally landed, they noticed that Jesus had a already had fire going and some bread on the side.  “Chef” Jesus then tells the tired and hungry men to bring some fish from their catch and he invited them to have breakfast with Him.  Imagine that, breakfast with Jesus.  As they savored each bite of their grilled fish, none of them were confused about who Jesus was (or is for that matter).  They simply enjoyed their meal with the King as he broke the bread and fish, and served them, like he had countless times before.  And they ate like champions that morning, being served by the One who could not be served by human hands, as if he needed a single thing.  I wonder who belted out the first burp.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Force of Divorce (part 1)

I don’t think we truly understand what divorce is and why God hates it. For example, if I gave you the Merriam Webster’s definition of divorce, the action or instance of legally dissolving a marriage , more than likely you'll find that definition insufficient. If you are divorced or your parents are divorced, you know that definition lacks depth and substance. It’s like a survivor of a devastating hurricane describing his experience as “I witnessed a tropical cyclone with winds of 156 mph that was accompanied by heavy rain thunder and lightning.” You know that surviving a category 5 hurricane is bit more involved than announcing a weather report. (Ask anyone who survived Hurricane Katrina.) And yet every survivor’s story is unique and personal. I especially believe we don’t get what divorce does to our children. I’m not saying that I completely understand it either. I’ve never been divorced, (not even close), but I do know how it affected me as a kid. ...

Day 19: Write in Someone Else’s Voice

The Coward The boy’s voice awakened the man.   He found shelter in the abandoned school, in what was once, his school, his office.   Eleven, twelve, and thirteen year old students once ran down those halls, hurrying to their classes, hurrying to his English class. Now since the incident, no children survived that massacre.   That thought made the man shake with fear until he drifted off to sleep.   So when the man heard the boy’s voice screaming “Help Me!, Please Help Me!”   it shook the man from his sleep.   The man laid still.   His heart pounded as he waited to hear boy again.   “Help me! Please Somebody!” The man heard the boy loud and clear.   He could not pretend it was some animal or dream.   He knew it was a boy. And it paralyzed him.   The man clutched his knees to his chest and tucked his chin.   He took slow deep breaths, silent breaths, hoping the boy would believe he was on his own, ...

Real with God, Real with Life

One of the most entertaining, but pointless interactions with my kids is when they are telling me what they think I want to hear. They, of course, disagree because they're at a point of desperation. They're trying to convince me of something they think they want or need, all the while hoping that my already made up mind will change. When it doesn't, it's usually the end of the world. Again. In the process of growing closer to God, He made me aware of a similar pattern in own my life. For example, if I was in need of something from God, I thought it would be better to tell Him what I thought He wanted to hear from me, rather than what I really wanted to say. I struggled between feelings of guilt and a desire to express my maturity. The result usually ended up with me not being completely honest with myself and God. I've seen so many preachers endorsing a "blab it and grab it" approach to relating to God and calling it "holiness". I never...