Skip to main content

Real with God, Real with Life

One of the most entertaining, but pointless interactions with my kids is when they are telling me what they think I want to hear. They, of course, disagree because they're at a point of desperation. They're trying to convince me of something they think they want or need, all the while hoping that my already made up mind will change. When it doesn't, it's usually the end of the world. Again.

In the process of growing closer to God, He made me aware of a similar pattern in own my life. For example, if I was in need of something from God, I thought it would be better to tell Him what I thought He wanted to hear from me, rather than what I really wanted to say. I struggled between feelings of guilt and a desire to express my maturity. The result usually ended up with me not being completely honest with myself and God. I've seen so many preachers endorsing a "blab it and grab it" approach to relating to God and calling it "holiness". I never wanted to treat God like a genie. I was determined not to converse with God on such a low, superficial level. In my efforts to be mature and spiritually minded, my prayers remained safe, small and "practical". Instead of praying for what I wanted, I prayed for less. And when I received what I asked for, I still wasn't completely at peace.

Then God so graciously reminded me that regardless of the words I say to Him, He knows my heart and my true motives. While I was trying to be a good and practical son, he was waiting on me to simply be real with him. God is a Father who delights in his children and expects us to be real with him on every level. I'm reminded of Habakkuk who had the honesty to cry out to God "How long, O LORD, must I call for help, but you do not listen?" (Hab. 1:2) Or David who asked "Why, O LORD, do you stand far off? Why do you hide yourself in times of trouble?" (Psalm 10:1) Or even Jonah, who gets quite a bit criticism for his prayer "Now O LORD take away my life, for it is better for me to die than to live" "I am angry enough to die." (Jonah 4:3, 9)

I'm not suggesting that we practice temper tantrums like two year olds before God, but what if that's where you are spiritually? What do you do with those feelings? Or this analogy, why pray for a minivan, when you really want a motorcycle? I know the answer. Because it's practical and responsible. It would be foolish to purchase bike when you have a family with no transportation! But what do you do with the desires of your heart? Suppress them? You can try that, but eventually you will harbor resentment and guilt because you still haven't dealt with the truth. You can do things your way and totally by pass the will of God. But that's a slippery slope. Eventually you'll become a slave to your own appetite. An appetite that can never be fully satisfied.

I made the decision to stop pretending and gave desires to God. Some of those were legitimate. Some were down right selfish. But the thing is, I got tired pretending they didn't exist. And what did God do for me in return? He began to work in my heart. When I was willing to surrender my whole heart to Him, he initiated the transformation process and examined every thought and desire I have. I had to accept with my heart (and not just my head) that God is a Father who gives good gifts. (James 1:16-17) He wouldn't give us something that will harm us or lead us away from Him. (Luke 11:11-13) When we come to him with our whole heart, we can trust him to protect it.

Even if I come to God with the wrong list of desires or even the wrong motives, God can be trusted to correct me as a loving father would and transform my mind so that I may remain in Him. (John 15:4-5, Rom. 12:1-2) God's correction may not be comfortable, in fact it could be painful as it was for Jonah. But God's discipline equips us with wisdom and power to do battle against an enemy that seeks to devour us. Who can be trusted with your inmost desires? You, Satan or God?

God is not a cosmic Santa Claus or genie, but a heavenly Father that delights in giving us the best He has to offer us! A glorious inheritance awaits us, because of His goodness, not ours! (Eph 1:13-18) We have so much to look forward to as we grow closer to the Father. Growth and depth occurs when we surrender our hearts and desire more of Him. But we can't get to that point if we are dishonest with where we are right now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Force of Divorce (part 1)

I don’t think we truly understand what divorce is and why God hates it. For example, if I gave you the Merriam Webster’s definition of divorce, the action or instance of legally dissolving a marriage , more than likely you'll find that definition insufficient. If you are divorced or your parents are divorced, you know that definition lacks depth and substance. It’s like a survivor of a devastating hurricane describing his experience as “I witnessed a tropical cyclone with winds of 156 mph that was accompanied by heavy rain thunder and lightning.” You know that surviving a category 5 hurricane is bit more involved than announcing a weather report. (Ask anyone who survived Hurricane Katrina.) And yet every survivor’s story is unique and personal. I especially believe we don’t get what divorce does to our children. I’m not saying that I completely understand it either. I’ve never been divorced, (not even close), but I do know how it affected me as a kid.

Behind the Songs I Sing and Write : "Lady Wisdom"

Lady Wisdom Don’t want my way No, no, don’t want my way No (verse 1) Say, excuse me mam can you help me You see I’m locked out side and I’m freezin’ I’m supposed to be mad that she left me But she had a real good reason See I let my pride take the best of me And I pushed her love away And the lust inside took the rest of me And I got my way Lady Wisdom Won’t you listen My soul is missin’ Don’t want my way (2x) (verse 2) Say, excuse me mam can you help me heard your words are better than gold can’t run and hide, gotta pay the fee just tell me which way to go see, all my life, been led astray, hey I was wise in my own mind Wanna find my life make a better day But I got my way, I got my way Lady Wisdom Won’t you listen My soul is missin’ Do want my way (2x) Lady Wisdom is a song about a desperate man having a conversation with the wisdom of God. In Scripture, wisdom is personified as a lady. 20 Out in the open wisdom calls aloud, she raises her voice in the public square; 21 on top of

Why At Times I Don't Believe

"I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!" Mark 9:24 There are things about God that I believe without question. His saving power, for one, the life, death and ressurrection of Jesus Christ are just a few truths that I hold without any doubt whatsoever. The biblical truths that we all benefit from, I have no problem embracing and believing. The areas of unbelief for me have always been personal. That's not to say I don't have a personal faith. I have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ that has given me so much joy, grace , mercy and peace! But I have to admit that when it comes to any struggle with unbelief, it has always been in my personal faith. Like the father in distress over his demon-possessed son, I believe that Jesus is able to heal, but there is a hint of doubt in his plea found in Mark 9:21 "If you can do anything, take pity on us and help us." Jesus detected the doubt as well. "If you can?", Jesus restated. Why do I struggle w