Skip to main content

Behind the Songs I Sing and Write : "Lady Wisdom"

Lady Wisdom


Don’t want my way
No, no, don’t want my way
No

(verse 1)
Say, excuse me mam can you help me
You see I’m locked out side and I’m freezin’
I’m supposed to be mad that she left me
But she had a real good reason

See I let my pride take the best of me
And I pushed her love away
And the lust inside took the rest of me
And I got my way


Lady Wisdom
Won’t you listen
My soul is missin’
Don’t want my way (2x)


(verse 2)
Say, excuse me mam can you help me
heard your words are better than gold
can’t run and hide, gotta pay the fee
just tell me which way to go

see, all my life, been led astray, hey
I was wise in my own mind
Wanna find my life make a better day
But I got my way, I got my way


Lady Wisdom
Won’t you listen
My soul is missin’
Do want my way (2x)



Lady Wisdom is a song about a desperate man having a conversation with the wisdom of God. In Scripture, wisdom is personified as a lady.

20 Out in the open wisdom calls aloud,
she raises her voice in the public square;
21 on top of the wall[a] she cries out,
at the city gate she makes her speech:
22 “How long will you who are simple love your simple ways?
How long will mockers delight in mockery
and fools hate knowledge?
23 Repent at my rebuke!
Then I will pour out my thoughts to you,
I will make known to you my teachings.
24 But since you refuse to listen when I call
and no one pays attention when I stretch out my hand,
25 since you disregard all my advice
and do not accept my rebuke,
26 I in turn will laugh when disaster strikes you;
I will mock when calamity overtakes you—
27 when calamity overtakes you like a storm,
when disaster sweeps over you like a whirlwind,
when distress and trouble overwhelm you.
Proverbs 1:20-27

In the Book of Proverbs “Lady” Wisdom is described as standing in the busiest section of town, the public square. She stands in the middle of business and commerce and pleads to the people to listen to her and she will pour out the thoughts, the teachings and the wisdom of God. In my song, this man is at the lowest point in my life. His wife has left him because of his lust and pride. But he’s lost more than his woman. He lost his mind, heart and soul! He’s scared humbled and humiliated “I do not want my way. No, no”. He prays that Lady wisdom will listen and give him hope. I wrote this song because I wanted to show the other side of the player’s life. The side that isn’t always shared. It’s the cold reality of the dead end that life on our own terms can lead us. God is a God of second chances (and many more!) and amazing grace, but there are consequences for pushing His love away and hurting people with our pride and lustful behavior. We have to get to the point where we are desperate enough and willing to cry out to Him. That’s what my song is all about.

Comments

  1. Wow, thanks for sharing. Such a creative way of sharing such a profound lesson.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 12: Lie

It was a Tuesday afternoon and I’m driving home from a long day teaching school.   I pull in the drive way, I’m tired.   I barely noticed the strange car in the driveway, thinking   to myself “it’s probably one of my son’s friends.” I walk up to the front door and it’s locked. I knock but no one comes to the door. Okay, I’ll just use my house key.   They probably could hear for all of the noise.   I have four kids 18, 15, 13, 11, but I don’t recognize any of their voices.   I use my house key to open the door.   When I enter in, all of these strange people are in my house. Four kids, two boys and two girls who look about the same age as my kids, but they were strangers.   The kids all stopped and stared at me.   I was just as strange to them.   The eighteen year old spoke first. “What are you doing here?” his voice trembled. “This is my home, young man.” I tried not to lose my cool, but what kind of question is that? “How did you get a key to o

Day 18: Waiting

(unedited) Like many of you, I am not a huge fan of waiting.   There’s such a negative perception to waiting. As a society, we hate it, don’t we?   We hate it so much that companies know how to sell us their products.   Just tell us that it’s fast.   Fast food, fast delivery, fast internet service entices us.   Instant is another temptation.   Instant cash, instant coffee, Instagram! Okay, not quite the same but you know what I’m saying, right?   We complain about being hurried, but we gravitate toward the fast lane.   Passing someone is a lot more rewarding that keeping pace in the slow lane. I get it. Guilty as charged, ya know.   Patience, on the other hand, is a discipline. In my brief experience in the military, I was taught patience.   Most of the time it was in a twisted sort of way, like “hurry up and wait”.   Think about that for a moment.   You are given the emergency of ten seconds to be somewhere and then when you’re there, you are forced to wait f