Skip to main content

"Lord if it's you..."


25 Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear.

27 But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”

28 “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”

29 “Come,” he said. (Matthew 14:25-29)

Have you ever wondered why Jesus didn't tell Peter to stay in the boat and row out to him? I mean, that way, they all could have gotten a closer look at Jesus. Wouldn't it have been more reasonable and safer to tell a man who couldn't walk on water to "stay in your boat with your friends and row to me" or at least, "stay where you are and I will continue to walk to you"? Seems to me that Jesus was not interested in being "reasonable and safe" when he offered the invitation to come to him on the water. I wonder what was going on in Peter's mind when he appealed to Jesus, "Lord if it's you, tell me to come to you on the water." Safety and comfort was definitely not on Peter's mind either. This passage always makes me question, "what kind of requests am I making to the LORD?".

Seriously, am I asking the LORD to allow me to step out of the boat of my life and walk out on the water where he is? Or am I waiting for Jesus to stroll over to me and meet me where I am? I mean let's be real, Peter was taking a serious risk by getting out of the boat. No man has ever walked on water. He had no prior history to rely on. It was just him and Jesus. And really, that was enough.

"Lord if it's you..." Let me ask you something. And not in a rhetorical sense, but seriously, I wanna know. When was the last time you prayed a prayer like "Lord if it's you..."? When was the last time you prayed a prayer that took faith and courage on your part, if the LORD responded to you with the invitation to "Come"? I'm tired of praying prayers that if I'm really honest, I don't need the King of Kings to come through for me. In other words, prayers that could be answered by a lesser god or by a man with a lot of money. I'm not saying that God can't use people to bless others. He clearly does this everyday! But my point is this: if my prayers aren't deepening my faith in God and drawing me closer to him, (even if He says no!), then why even bother praying to Him? I want to pray prayers that takes guts to follow through. Prayers that make people say, "Are you crazy? You've never walked on water before!" Don't get me wrong, I'm not a thrill seeker or an adrenaline junkie; but every once in a while wouldn't it be cool to pray a prayer that speeds up your heartbeat when you embrace the implications of Jesus saying "Come"? What is your "Lord if it's you..." prayer? I would love to hear from you.

Comments

  1. Phenomenal post!!!! I'm learning to pray prayers that get me out of the boat of my comfort. And I'm finding that I can "walk on water". Writing and publishing "Fear Lives No More" definitely got me out of the boat. And I'm seeing that our God is truly BIG enough to handle our biggest "Lord is it's you.." prayers.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Force of Divorce (part 1)

I don’t think we truly understand what divorce is and why God hates it. For example, if I gave you the Merriam Webster’s definition of divorce, the action or instance of legally dissolving a marriage , more than likely you'll find that definition insufficient. If you are divorced or your parents are divorced, you know that definition lacks depth and substance. It’s like a survivor of a devastating hurricane describing his experience as “I witnessed a tropical cyclone with winds of 156 mph that was accompanied by heavy rain thunder and lightning.” You know that surviving a category 5 hurricane is bit more involved than announcing a weather report. (Ask anyone who survived Hurricane Katrina.) And yet every survivor’s story is unique and personal. I especially believe we don’t get what divorce does to our children. I’m not saying that I completely understand it either. I’ve never been divorced, (not even close), but I do know how it affected me as a kid.

Behind the Songs I Sing and Write : "Lady Wisdom"

Lady Wisdom Don’t want my way No, no, don’t want my way No (verse 1) Say, excuse me mam can you help me You see I’m locked out side and I’m freezin’ I’m supposed to be mad that she left me But she had a real good reason See I let my pride take the best of me And I pushed her love away And the lust inside took the rest of me And I got my way Lady Wisdom Won’t you listen My soul is missin’ Don’t want my way (2x) (verse 2) Say, excuse me mam can you help me heard your words are better than gold can’t run and hide, gotta pay the fee just tell me which way to go see, all my life, been led astray, hey I was wise in my own mind Wanna find my life make a better day But I got my way, I got my way Lady Wisdom Won’t you listen My soul is missin’ Do want my way (2x) Lady Wisdom is a song about a desperate man having a conversation with the wisdom of God. In Scripture, wisdom is personified as a lady. 20 Out in the open wisdom calls aloud, she raises her voice in the public square; 21 on top of

Why At Times I Don't Believe

"I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!" Mark 9:24 There are things about God that I believe without question. His saving power, for one, the life, death and ressurrection of Jesus Christ are just a few truths that I hold without any doubt whatsoever. The biblical truths that we all benefit from, I have no problem embracing and believing. The areas of unbelief for me have always been personal. That's not to say I don't have a personal faith. I have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ that has given me so much joy, grace , mercy and peace! But I have to admit that when it comes to any struggle with unbelief, it has always been in my personal faith. Like the father in distress over his demon-possessed son, I believe that Jesus is able to heal, but there is a hint of doubt in his plea found in Mark 9:21 "If you can do anything, take pity on us and help us." Jesus detected the doubt as well. "If you can?", Jesus restated. Why do I struggle w