Skip to main content

"Unless I See the Nail Marks..."


“We have seen the Lord!”, the disciples proclaimed to a man who was simply not buying what they were selling. I imagine Thomas must of thought he was the voice of reason as his poor misguided friends tried to process the humiliating death of their Lord.

“Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it.” Thomas professed, his arms crossed as he confronted the disciples with the cold hard truth. He demanded something they could not deliver, proof. What he “knew” about God would not allow him to entertain the thought of God dying in front of him on a cross and somehow coming back to life three days later.

A week later the "gullible" disciples came back and ,of course, Thomas was with them. He was probably hoping they had time to come to their senses and deal with reality. But was he ready to cash in his reality check? Fore a locked house could not separate the Risen Savior from His beloved. Jesus made himself at home and stood among them! “Peace be with you!”

I wonder, in the box that I keep everything I "know" about God, is there enough room for Jesus to do the unexpected? What am I taking a firm stand on, with my arms crossed in disbelief of how Jesus can reveal himself to me?

Jesus turned to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.” Thomas stood there in the presence of undeniable proof that Jesus is alive!

“My Lord and my God!” What else could he say, right? When you’re face to face with your Redeemer, what would you say? That is, if you can say anything at all from the prostrate position! I love this story because Thomas, though he doubted, was still welcomed by Jesus. I hope my doubts can bring me face to face with Him as well! But my goal is not to merely overstate the obvious, but to transcend my own vision and understanding and be among those, whom Jesus commends.

“…blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Edward. They are timely, especially in an age when everyone is so intrigued with all the media attractions available. I am happy to be reminded of these truths!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Force of Divorce (part 1)

I don’t think we truly understand what divorce is and why God hates it. For example, if I gave you the Merriam Webster’s definition of divorce, the action or instance of legally dissolving a marriage , more than likely you'll find that definition insufficient. If you are divorced or your parents are divorced, you know that definition lacks depth and substance. It’s like a survivor of a devastating hurricane describing his experience as “I witnessed a tropical cyclone with winds of 156 mph that was accompanied by heavy rain thunder and lightning.” You know that surviving a category 5 hurricane is bit more involved than announcing a weather report. (Ask anyone who survived Hurricane Katrina.) And yet every survivor’s story is unique and personal. I especially believe we don’t get what divorce does to our children. I’m not saying that I completely understand it either. I’ve never been divorced, (not even close), but I do know how it affected me as a kid.

Day 12: Lie

It was a Tuesday afternoon and I’m driving home from a long day teaching school.   I pull in the drive way, I’m tired.   I barely noticed the strange car in the driveway, thinking   to myself “it’s probably one of my son’s friends.” I walk up to the front door and it’s locked. I knock but no one comes to the door. Okay, I’ll just use my house key.   They probably could hear for all of the noise.   I have four kids 18, 15, 13, 11, but I don’t recognize any of their voices.   I use my house key to open the door.   When I enter in, all of these strange people are in my house. Four kids, two boys and two girls who look about the same age as my kids, but they were strangers.   The kids all stopped and stared at me.   I was just as strange to them.   The eighteen year old spoke first. “What are you doing here?” his voice trembled. “This is my home, young man.” I tried not to lose my cool, but what kind of question is that? “How did you get a key to o

Behind the Songs I Sing and Write : "Lady Wisdom"

Lady Wisdom Don’t want my way No, no, don’t want my way No (verse 1) Say, excuse me mam can you help me You see I’m locked out side and I’m freezin’ I’m supposed to be mad that she left me But she had a real good reason See I let my pride take the best of me And I pushed her love away And the lust inside took the rest of me And I got my way Lady Wisdom Won’t you listen My soul is missin’ Don’t want my way (2x) (verse 2) Say, excuse me mam can you help me heard your words are better than gold can’t run and hide, gotta pay the fee just tell me which way to go see, all my life, been led astray, hey I was wise in my own mind Wanna find my life make a better day But I got my way, I got my way Lady Wisdom Won’t you listen My soul is missin’ Do want my way (2x) Lady Wisdom is a song about a desperate man having a conversation with the wisdom of God. In Scripture, wisdom is personified as a lady. 20 Out in the open wisdom calls aloud, she raises her voice in the public square; 21 on top of