Skip to main content

I Know You Are, But What Am I?



How important is your identity?  Why does it matter, who you think you are? I believe your identity impacts everything around you.  The way of engage people in conversation, the way you treat people, the kinds of relationships you develop, even what or who you worship, is greatly impacted on our identity or our lack of one.  Our identity affects the everyday choices we make as well.  Ultimately, even our successes and failures are viewed through the lenses of our own identity.

"Right after "Raymond" I had a world-is-my oyster attitude, but I found out I don't like oysters. I had this existential emptiness.  What is my purpose? Who am I? I had a big identity crisis." Ray Romano of "Everybody Loves Raymond"

As a believer in Christ, my identity is crucial to my purpose and destiny in life.  I believe Satan was aware of that long before I even I cared.  It definitely explains why he attacks our identity with such tenacity.  He even had the nerve to challenge the identity of Jesus Christ!

"If you are the Son of God...tell these stones to become bread...throw yourself down..." Matthew 4

Thank about this for a moment, if Satan had the nerve to question the identity of Jesus, knowing full well who Jesus was, why wouldn't he attack our identity as well?  We are so much more than meets the eye, much more than who we think we are.  Not because we are so awesome, but because our identity is hidden in Christ.

In Ephesians, Paul proclaims that we should praise God for what he has given us!  God has "blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ." (Ephesians 1:3) In Christ, we have eternal blessings, everlasting blessings that can not be earned or stolen from us.  In Christ, we are chosen, predestined, adopted, redeemed, forgiven, purposed, promised, inherited and dare I say it, LOVED BY GOD!  And in all these gifts, God provides for us lavishly.  Lavishly, meaning from his embarrassment of riches, his great abundance of power and love, not from his leftovers or as some afterthought. God has given us his absolute best, on purpose, in Christ Jesus.  When I let that sink in and realize how that impacts my identity, why would I not want to praise God?  We have been given every spiritual blessing in Christ.  There's nothing that we need that God does not supply in lavish abundance!  That's not just wishful thinking, folks.  That's our inheritance.  That is who we are in Christ Jesus.

Ephesians 1:3-14

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Force of Divorce (part 1)

I don’t think we truly understand what divorce is and why God hates it. For example, if I gave you the Merriam Webster’s definition of divorce, the action or instance of legally dissolving a marriage , more than likely you'll find that definition insufficient. If you are divorced or your parents are divorced, you know that definition lacks depth and substance. It’s like a survivor of a devastating hurricane describing his experience as “I witnessed a tropical cyclone with winds of 156 mph that was accompanied by heavy rain thunder and lightning.” You know that surviving a category 5 hurricane is bit more involved than announcing a weather report. (Ask anyone who survived Hurricane Katrina.) And yet every survivor’s story is unique and personal. I especially believe we don’t get what divorce does to our children. I’m not saying that I completely understand it either. I’ve never been divorced, (not even close), but I do know how it affected me as a kid.

Behind the Songs I Sing and Write : "Lady Wisdom"

Lady Wisdom Don’t want my way No, no, don’t want my way No (verse 1) Say, excuse me mam can you help me You see I’m locked out side and I’m freezin’ I’m supposed to be mad that she left me But she had a real good reason See I let my pride take the best of me And I pushed her love away And the lust inside took the rest of me And I got my way Lady Wisdom Won’t you listen My soul is missin’ Don’t want my way (2x) (verse 2) Say, excuse me mam can you help me heard your words are better than gold can’t run and hide, gotta pay the fee just tell me which way to go see, all my life, been led astray, hey I was wise in my own mind Wanna find my life make a better day But I got my way, I got my way Lady Wisdom Won’t you listen My soul is missin’ Do want my way (2x) Lady Wisdom is a song about a desperate man having a conversation with the wisdom of God. In Scripture, wisdom is personified as a lady. 20 Out in the open wisdom calls aloud, she raises her voice in the public square; 21 on top of

Why At Times I Don't Believe

"I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!" Mark 9:24 There are things about God that I believe without question. His saving power, for one, the life, death and ressurrection of Jesus Christ are just a few truths that I hold without any doubt whatsoever. The biblical truths that we all benefit from, I have no problem embracing and believing. The areas of unbelief for me have always been personal. That's not to say I don't have a personal faith. I have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ that has given me so much joy, grace , mercy and peace! But I have to admit that when it comes to any struggle with unbelief, it has always been in my personal faith. Like the father in distress over his demon-possessed son, I believe that Jesus is able to heal, but there is a hint of doubt in his plea found in Mark 9:21 "If you can do anything, take pity on us and help us." Jesus detected the doubt as well. "If you can?", Jesus restated. Why do I struggle w