Skip to main content

The Other Things As Well...


For the longest, whenever I would prepare to share my relationship with God, I would search for the miracle moments that I've experienced. Those moments when God intervened in some supernatural way and either rescued me from eminent danger or dramatically changed the course of my life in an answered prayer.  Those moments I felt needed to be shared to build a person's faith or inspire a person to push through the doubt and despair he or she may be experiencing.  I thank God for the miracle moments, because they were bench marks in my life, reminding me of God's loving faithfulness.  However, as with every long lasting relationship, it's not just about the holidays and special occassions.  Those days are beautiful and bring with them warm memories and exciting times, but it's the daily grind of everyday life that produces the depth of love that we all long for.  We don't marry a person just to share birthdays and holidays with, but our everyday lives.  The days that are not documented by photographs, gifts and celebrations are just as important. One can make a strong argument that they are even more important.  

I confess that I don't share a lot of my ordinary days because they are not very impressive. My early morning coffees with Jesus just doesn't move the crowd. But is that what it's all about?  Some of us don't share our "testimonies" because we feel like we don't have one.  I've never been incarcerated or in a gang or on drugs.  I don't have any  "Christian street cred". My life is mostly made up of days that don't come to a crashing, exploding end, like some summer blockbuster movie.  It's filled with days of working, listening and providing a stable life for family; spending time and making time to invest in people and recieving that investment from others.  The miracle moments are special because Jesus shows up in the ordinary days and spends time with me.  May be I need to share my very human experiences with God more often. Like when I don't feel like being patient or compassionate because I'm too busy being annoyed I didn't get my way. Or the times when I'm sitting in traffic thinking "this is so stupid" when God is probably thinking "hey, finally we have some unexpected time to hang out".  So at the risk of boring you to tears or curing you of insomnia, my goal is to share more of those ordinary days when I'm having breakfast or coffee with Jesus and he reminds me of something that makes me laugh. Or when I'm selfishly praying for myself and he brings up your name in the middle of my monologue. 

"Jesus did many other things as well.  If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world not have room for the books that would be written."  John 21:25

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Force of Divorce (part 1)

I don’t think we truly understand what divorce is and why God hates it. For example, if I gave you the Merriam Webster’s definition of divorce, the action or instance of legally dissolving a marriage , more than likely you'll find that definition insufficient. If you are divorced or your parents are divorced, you know that definition lacks depth and substance. It’s like a survivor of a devastating hurricane describing his experience as “I witnessed a tropical cyclone with winds of 156 mph that was accompanied by heavy rain thunder and lightning.” You know that surviving a category 5 hurricane is bit more involved than announcing a weather report. (Ask anyone who survived Hurricane Katrina.) And yet every survivor’s story is unique and personal. I especially believe we don’t get what divorce does to our children. I’m not saying that I completely understand it either. I’ve never been divorced, (not even close), but I do know how it affected me as a kid.

Behind the Songs I Sing and Write : "Lady Wisdom"

Lady Wisdom Don’t want my way No, no, don’t want my way No (verse 1) Say, excuse me mam can you help me You see I’m locked out side and I’m freezin’ I’m supposed to be mad that she left me But she had a real good reason See I let my pride take the best of me And I pushed her love away And the lust inside took the rest of me And I got my way Lady Wisdom Won’t you listen My soul is missin’ Don’t want my way (2x) (verse 2) Say, excuse me mam can you help me heard your words are better than gold can’t run and hide, gotta pay the fee just tell me which way to go see, all my life, been led astray, hey I was wise in my own mind Wanna find my life make a better day But I got my way, I got my way Lady Wisdom Won’t you listen My soul is missin’ Do want my way (2x) Lady Wisdom is a song about a desperate man having a conversation with the wisdom of God. In Scripture, wisdom is personified as a lady. 20 Out in the open wisdom calls aloud, she raises her voice in the public square; 21 on top of

Why At Times I Don't Believe

"I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!" Mark 9:24 There are things about God that I believe without question. His saving power, for one, the life, death and ressurrection of Jesus Christ are just a few truths that I hold without any doubt whatsoever. The biblical truths that we all benefit from, I have no problem embracing and believing. The areas of unbelief for me have always been personal. That's not to say I don't have a personal faith. I have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ that has given me so much joy, grace , mercy and peace! But I have to admit that when it comes to any struggle with unbelief, it has always been in my personal faith. Like the father in distress over his demon-possessed son, I believe that Jesus is able to heal, but there is a hint of doubt in his plea found in Mark 9:21 "If you can do anything, take pity on us and help us." Jesus detected the doubt as well. "If you can?", Jesus restated. Why do I struggle w