Skip to main content

A Letter to My 15 Year Old Self (Day 2)


Dear Edward,

I have a few things to say you that I wish were said to you a long time ago.  But since I have this time machine, I have some wise words to share with you.  First of all, stop looking for a girlfriend.  Trust me on this one.  You will never find what you are looking for in a girl.  Not even the girl of your dreams.  And by the way, your dreams? Dream bigger than being accepted.  What you are looking for is your identity.  I love Mark Twain’s quote “the two most important days in a man’s life are the day he was born and the day he finds out why.”  Your purpose is found in God, your creator.  He made you exactly as he pleased.  You are not a mistake or a strain on someone’s life.  You are not responsible for your parents divorce.  You are not perfect, but you are not hard to love.  In fact, the One who is called “Love” loves you deeply.

I know you’ve heard that before, but take some time and let that sink in to you.  God loves you.  He just does.  Your dad may not have understood what a son needs, but your Heavenly Father knows exactly what you need.  You are his son.  When you accept that,  you will find the love, the identity and purpose in which you were made. 

This whole dating thing is pretty pointless.  Enjoy high school, don’t just survive it.  Dating is this mad emotional race to hear “I love you” and then it becomes this race to see who will break the other one’s heart first.  There is no binding promises or covenants nor commitments that can link two confused teen-agers together.  Not enough ink for love letters, songs on the radio or tears in the eyes to halt the inevitable.  I know that sounds harsh, but it’s not harder than the heartbreak you are heading for in the next two years.  By the way, it will crush you but it wont kill you.  It’s not your fault.  It’s really not her fault either.  You both said things and made impossible promises that no undeveloped human being could possibly keep. 

Another thing. Learn piano! Please do it for the both of us!  You know you love music.  Make it! Play it! Find your own melody and play it.  Keep writing.  Write about everything.  Write books along with your plays and poetry.  Play more basketball! and don’t quit the team.  Trust me, it’s more rewarding to get cut than to flat out quit.  You will have a long time forgiving yourself for that one.  You will never forget it.  In fact it will be one of the lessons you will share with your players later on.  Yes you will coach basketball!  So learn to play the game. 

Back to the whole girlfriend thing.  You don’t want to go through the pain and frustration of being in a relationship.  You will hear all kinds of lies about why it’s so important that you be like everybody else.  You will hear many girls say, “I love you” but those words will mean nothing until you’ve heard them from your wife!  Yes there will be Mrs. Baptiste!  Now, I’ll let you get back to playing Pac Man.  And fear not! the ‘Pause” button is coming soon!  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Force of Divorce (part 1)

I don’t think we truly understand what divorce is and why God hates it. For example, if I gave you the Merriam Webster’s definition of divorce, the action or instance of legally dissolving a marriage , more than likely you'll find that definition insufficient. If you are divorced or your parents are divorced, you know that definition lacks depth and substance. It’s like a survivor of a devastating hurricane describing his experience as “I witnessed a tropical cyclone with winds of 156 mph that was accompanied by heavy rain thunder and lightning.” You know that surviving a category 5 hurricane is bit more involved than announcing a weather report. (Ask anyone who survived Hurricane Katrina.) And yet every survivor’s story is unique and personal. I especially believe we don’t get what divorce does to our children. I’m not saying that I completely understand it either. I’ve never been divorced, (not even close), but I do know how it affected me as a kid.

Behind the Songs I Sing and Write : "Lady Wisdom"

Lady Wisdom Don’t want my way No, no, don’t want my way No (verse 1) Say, excuse me mam can you help me You see I’m locked out side and I’m freezin’ I’m supposed to be mad that she left me But she had a real good reason See I let my pride take the best of me And I pushed her love away And the lust inside took the rest of me And I got my way Lady Wisdom Won’t you listen My soul is missin’ Don’t want my way (2x) (verse 2) Say, excuse me mam can you help me heard your words are better than gold can’t run and hide, gotta pay the fee just tell me which way to go see, all my life, been led astray, hey I was wise in my own mind Wanna find my life make a better day But I got my way, I got my way Lady Wisdom Won’t you listen My soul is missin’ Do want my way (2x) Lady Wisdom is a song about a desperate man having a conversation with the wisdom of God. In Scripture, wisdom is personified as a lady. 20 Out in the open wisdom calls aloud, she raises her voice in the public square; 21 on top of

Why At Times I Don't Believe

"I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!" Mark 9:24 There are things about God that I believe without question. His saving power, for one, the life, death and ressurrection of Jesus Christ are just a few truths that I hold without any doubt whatsoever. The biblical truths that we all benefit from, I have no problem embracing and believing. The areas of unbelief for me have always been personal. That's not to say I don't have a personal faith. I have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ that has given me so much joy, grace , mercy and peace! But I have to admit that when it comes to any struggle with unbelief, it has always been in my personal faith. Like the father in distress over his demon-possessed son, I believe that Jesus is able to heal, but there is a hint of doubt in his plea found in Mark 9:21 "If you can do anything, take pity on us and help us." Jesus detected the doubt as well. "If you can?", Jesus restated. Why do I struggle w