Skip to main content

Day 9: Guess Who's Coming to Dinner


 
John 12:1-8 
Vs 1-2
Six days before the Passover, Jesus therefore came to Bethany, where Lazarus was, whom Jesus had raised from the dead. So they gave a dinner for him there. Martha served, and Lazarus was one of those reclining with him at table.

The time was six days before the Passover. This was the final week in Jesus ‘life before going to the cross. Jesus spent several nights in Bethany, east of Jerusalem.  He and his disciples went back to Bethany, where Lazarus lived and attended a dinner in Jesus’ honor.  According to Mark 14:1-11, they were in the home of Simon the Leper.  Simon came to Jesus when he was Galilee and asked him to heal him.  (A bold move for a person with leprosy.  The skin disease itself was incurable causing a person to be ritually unclean, socially untouchable and unapproachable because it was contagious. Leprosy was considered a visible illustration of sin) Jesus, moved with compassion for him, cross the line touched him and healed immediately. Needless to say, Jesus was more than welcomed to be a guest in Simon’s home. (mark 1:40).  Mary, Martha and Lazarus were also there.  They were siblings.  This was the Lazarus that took ill and his sisters sent word for Jesus to heal him, but Jesus decided to show up two days later than requested and Lazarus died. He delay his rescue so those who would witness the miracle would be believe.  The disciples didn’t understand.  Mary and Martha certainly didn’t understand and seemed that all hope was lost.  But then Jesus arrives, enters their pain and deepens their faith. They were certainly glad to share this meal with Jesus.  They were close to him.  This was joyous occasion. 

Is he welcomed in your home? (Do you have a story to tell of how Jesus rescued you and now your home is a place where his presence is honored)

Vs 3
Mary therefore took a pound[a] of expensive ointment made from pure nard, and anointed the feet of Jesus and wiped his feet with her hair. The house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.

The pure nard was a fragrant oil prepared from the roots and stems of an aromatic herb from northern India.  It was expensive perfume imported and sealed in alabaster boxes or flasks that were opened only on special occasions.  Mary’s expensive gift (a pint) expressed her love and gratitude for Jesus for resurrecting Lazarus’ life.  The fragrance filled the house.  John mentions this because he wants us to know that he was an eyewitness to this occasion. 

Does your home have the fragrance that honors Jesus?  How do you show your gratitude for Jesus? How has his love impacted your life?



Vs 4-6

But Judas Iscariot, one of his disciples (he who was about to betray him), said, “Why was this ointment not sold for three hundred denarii[b] and given to the poor?”He said this, not because he cared about the poor, but because he was a thief, and having charge of the moneybag he used to help himself to what was put into it.

Here’s the turning point of joyous occasion.  Judas is offended. He calls Mary’s gift a waste.  The disciples agree with him!  The truth is Judas doesn’t care about the poor. He was upset because he was a thief who couldn’t profit from Mary’s gift.   He was the group treasurer who was accustomed to taking a whatever he pleased.  Mary’s gift had to be one of the most expensive gifts he had ever seen.  The value of the perfume was a year’s wages, a lifetime of savings. 300 denarii would be about 6000 dollars to us. 

The contrast of Judas and Mary is interesting, in that Mary openly sacrificed her expensive gift to Jesus, while Judas did his dirt in secret.  Her heart exposed his.  Later we will discover that Judas will betray Jesus for far less than the value of this gift, 30 pieces of silver (the price of a gored slave) In today’s value, 30 pieces of silver would have been about 400-500 dollars (Exodus 21:32, Zech 11:12-13)

Where is your heart?  Would you have joined Judas in rebuking this gift as a waste or would you have celebrated with Jesus?



Vs 7-8

Jesus said, “Leave her alone, so that she may keep it[c] for the day of my burial. For the poor you always have with you, but you do not always have me.”

Normally anointing someone was something festive.  To anoint someone means to bless them, the application of the oil is implying the God has chosen to bless a person for God’s purpose.  This anointing was in preparation for Jesus burial.

Jesus defends Mary by pointing out that there will always be opportunity to help the poor, but his time before his death was limited. 

What Judas considered a waste, Jesus accepted as worship.

Consider giving Jesus your greatest gift: Your Life. 

Imagine what how fulfilling your life would be as a love offering to Jesus.  People who don’t understand may consider your offering a waste, but those who can see beyond the 30 pieces of silver can gaze into eternal life and realize how precious that life can truly be.  Let your heart be a fragrance that fills the room!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Force of Divorce (part 1)

I don’t think we truly understand what divorce is and why God hates it. For example, if I gave you the Merriam Webster’s definition of divorce, the action or instance of legally dissolving a marriage , more than likely you'll find that definition insufficient. If you are divorced or your parents are divorced, you know that definition lacks depth and substance. It’s like a survivor of a devastating hurricane describing his experience as “I witnessed a tropical cyclone with winds of 156 mph that was accompanied by heavy rain thunder and lightning.” You know that surviving a category 5 hurricane is bit more involved than announcing a weather report. (Ask anyone who survived Hurricane Katrina.) And yet every survivor’s story is unique and personal. I especially believe we don’t get what divorce does to our children. I’m not saying that I completely understand it either. I’ve never been divorced, (not even close), but I do know how it affected me as a kid.

Behind the Songs I Sing and Write : "Lady Wisdom"

Lady Wisdom Don’t want my way No, no, don’t want my way No (verse 1) Say, excuse me mam can you help me You see I’m locked out side and I’m freezin’ I’m supposed to be mad that she left me But she had a real good reason See I let my pride take the best of me And I pushed her love away And the lust inside took the rest of me And I got my way Lady Wisdom Won’t you listen My soul is missin’ Don’t want my way (2x) (verse 2) Say, excuse me mam can you help me heard your words are better than gold can’t run and hide, gotta pay the fee just tell me which way to go see, all my life, been led astray, hey I was wise in my own mind Wanna find my life make a better day But I got my way, I got my way Lady Wisdom Won’t you listen My soul is missin’ Do want my way (2x) Lady Wisdom is a song about a desperate man having a conversation with the wisdom of God. In Scripture, wisdom is personified as a lady. 20 Out in the open wisdom calls aloud, she raises her voice in the public square; 21 on top of

Why At Times I Don't Believe

"I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!" Mark 9:24 There are things about God that I believe without question. His saving power, for one, the life, death and ressurrection of Jesus Christ are just a few truths that I hold without any doubt whatsoever. The biblical truths that we all benefit from, I have no problem embracing and believing. The areas of unbelief for me have always been personal. That's not to say I don't have a personal faith. I have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ that has given me so much joy, grace , mercy and peace! But I have to admit that when it comes to any struggle with unbelief, it has always been in my personal faith. Like the father in distress over his demon-possessed son, I believe that Jesus is able to heal, but there is a hint of doubt in his plea found in Mark 9:21 "If you can do anything, take pity on us and help us." Jesus detected the doubt as well. "If you can?", Jesus restated. Why do I struggle w