Skip to main content

Day Six: The She in the Crowd and the Man From Nazareth


She was in the back of the crowd, far in the back.  She was small and invisible so she wasn’t afraid of being exposed or called out.  It was easy for her to blend in with the crowd that gathered to hear Jesus teach.  She was curious of him.  Attracted to his presence. He commanded a presence without prestige or power.  As she moved and shifted and shuffled her way closer to the front she noticed that he really didn’t stand out physically either.  There was nothing about him that commanded physical attraction.  He was no King Saul, clearly. He was…well, ordinary, but he spoke with such authority.  She heard about the miracles, the feeding of the five thousand with a little boy’s meal, the healing of the invalid in Bethesda; people are still talking about that one.  Some heard that he walked on water .  She was wondering, “what would Jesus do today?”

There was also talk of his claiming to be God, the very bread of life!  She didn’t know what to make of this man from Nazareth. She heard about the scandals of him talking with prostitutes and eating with sinners at night.  That both terrified and encouraged her because she found Jesus to be inviting and welcoming to folks with scars and sins and stains on their lives.  But She didn’t want to be mistaken for none of them.  She couldn’t believe that he went to Samaria of all places.  Some say he was alone with a popular whore at the local well.  Who knows what talked about?  Whatever it was, she couldn’t keep her mouth shut about him.  This man was causing quite a stir among the common Jews who didn’t want to cause trouble with the government nor those righteous ones, the Pharisees.

As she listened to him teach with no scroll or script, she was amazed by his power and welcoming approach.  He spoke like a king with such authority and yet he was as common as a shepherd in how he connected with the crowd.  And she secretly wished, because she would never embarrass herself, that his eyes would fall on hers as he spoke of this kingdom of his.  Not romantically, but as a rescue from this hopeless place she found her life in.  If there was such a place, she wanted to go there.  Everything he spoke was golden until they brought her to him.

The Pharisees led a small of band of angry men dragging some whore by the hair and threw her down in front of him, naked, shaken, weeping. 

“This…woman was caught in adultery, teacher!” one of the elders announced “The Law of Moses commands that we stone this whore for her sins! What do you say?”  The crowd stepped back as if she had leprosy! Some men yelled at her, spitting as they called her names.  The women huddled and whispered as they watched their husbands’ “righteous” anger.  Jesus was silent. And she thought, they got him.  There is no escape.  If he says don’t stone her, they will accuse him of breaking the law of Moses.  If he says stone her, he is violation of the Roman law; Jews could not carry out executions. What would he do about the woman in the fetal position in front her, in front of him?

The next thing that happened astonished her.  Jesus, in the midst of the storm of accusations and mockings,  bent down and started to write in the sand.  This man wrote in the sand! She mustered the courage and stepped forward to get a closer look.  What she saw him writing made her cover her mouth because she could not close it automatically.  The loud muscular crowd grew silent as Jesus stood up in front of the woman and gave his reply.  She stood there right across from him and waited anxiously for his next words.  He looked to her as if he was talking about her as well as whore at his feet.

“He without sin, let him cast the first stone.” Jesus answered them.

He stooped back down and continued to write in the sand.  She looked around. the crowd was stunned.  The crowd shifted their attention to the Pharisees and the younger men looked toward the oldest of their group.  The old man with his head hanging down, dropped his stones and shuffled away.  The younger men in shame followed his example.  Soon the crowd thinned, each group leaving slowly.  She took a deep breath and nodded her head at the man from Nazareth and she slipped away as well among the good women. When she was a safe distance away, she looked back and saw the naked whore hug Jesus as he covered her with his cloak.  And for the first time in her life, she envied a sinner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Force of Divorce (part 1)

I don’t think we truly understand what divorce is and why God hates it. For example, if I gave you the Merriam Webster’s definition of divorce, the action or instance of legally dissolving a marriage , more than likely you'll find that definition insufficient. If you are divorced or your parents are divorced, you know that definition lacks depth and substance. It’s like a survivor of a devastating hurricane describing his experience as “I witnessed a tropical cyclone with winds of 156 mph that was accompanied by heavy rain thunder and lightning.” You know that surviving a category 5 hurricane is bit more involved than announcing a weather report. (Ask anyone who survived Hurricane Katrina.) And yet every survivor’s story is unique and personal. I especially believe we don’t get what divorce does to our children. I’m not saying that I completely understand it either. I’ve never been divorced, (not even close), but I do know how it affected me as a kid.

Behind the Songs I Sing and Write : "Lady Wisdom"

Lady Wisdom Don’t want my way No, no, don’t want my way No (verse 1) Say, excuse me mam can you help me You see I’m locked out side and I’m freezin’ I’m supposed to be mad that she left me But she had a real good reason See I let my pride take the best of me And I pushed her love away And the lust inside took the rest of me And I got my way Lady Wisdom Won’t you listen My soul is missin’ Don’t want my way (2x) (verse 2) Say, excuse me mam can you help me heard your words are better than gold can’t run and hide, gotta pay the fee just tell me which way to go see, all my life, been led astray, hey I was wise in my own mind Wanna find my life make a better day But I got my way, I got my way Lady Wisdom Won’t you listen My soul is missin’ Do want my way (2x) Lady Wisdom is a song about a desperate man having a conversation with the wisdom of God. In Scripture, wisdom is personified as a lady. 20 Out in the open wisdom calls aloud, she raises her voice in the public square; 21 on top of

Why At Times I Don't Believe

"I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!" Mark 9:24 There are things about God that I believe without question. His saving power, for one, the life, death and ressurrection of Jesus Christ are just a few truths that I hold without any doubt whatsoever. The biblical truths that we all benefit from, I have no problem embracing and believing. The areas of unbelief for me have always been personal. That's not to say I don't have a personal faith. I have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ that has given me so much joy, grace , mercy and peace! But I have to admit that when it comes to any struggle with unbelief, it has always been in my personal faith. Like the father in distress over his demon-possessed son, I believe that Jesus is able to heal, but there is a hint of doubt in his plea found in Mark 9:21 "If you can do anything, take pity on us and help us." Jesus detected the doubt as well. "If you can?", Jesus restated. Why do I struggle w