Skip to main content

Breaking Up to Grow Up (Day 1)


This is the year I break up with Fear.  I’m not talking about the kind of fear that makes you think clearly and make good choices.  I’m talking about the kind of fear that paralyzes you. The kind of fear that mocks your dreams and makes statements like “be realistic” , “that’s a waste of time” and “who do you think you are?” No more! I’m done with her seductive tone and smooth words that kept me from pursuing what I’ve always known in my heart.  That I am a writer.

I’ve been writing my whole life, really.  At least it’s felt that way.  I remember being in the 7th grade, pretending to hate homework assignments like “write an essay about…”, because none of my friends love to write.  Or did they?  Maybe some of them were secretly writers themselves afraid to come out of the “closet”.  We all had so much to prove back then.  So much to hide and suppress.  So I’m breaking up with Fear or shall I say, I have broken with her already. 

Please forgive for the female personification of “fear”.  I’m not suppressing some inner hatred of women.  I happen to love, honor and respect women a great deal.  It’s just that I’ve had such an intimate, on again, off again relationship with Fear that it feels like a relationships that takes from you and buries you underneath shame and guilt.  This is the year that Fear gets stood up.  No more date nights for you. 

I am a writer.  Writing  is one of those experiences that awakes me like coffee.  The other one is music.  I will exploring my musical side as well.  There are things in me that come out in writing that no other forming of communicating really taps into the same way.  There’s a depth there in me that lights up.  Not that I think that I’m some deep person.  I have the capacity to think very superficially from time to time.  It’s not something I’m proud of .  It’s just a part of what makes me who I am.  And with 45 years on this planet, it’s freeing to realize and say out loud “I have a lot of growing up to do”.  Writing is the space that this astronaut can experience the universe. 

Writing is also the place where I feel like I can make a contribution to our world.  I believe we all have a voice, whether we choose accept it or not.  Writing is one my ways of sharing my voice. That’s probably why I feel so isolated and empty when I don’t write.  Fear has kept me from regularly expressing my voice.  I’m a guarded person naturally and I don’t think that’s ever going to change. But it doesn’t mean I can’t share my heart and let my guard down when I need to.  I have something to say and sometimes verbal words of conversation just get in the way.  I’m no longer socially awkward, but at times I lack the eloquence of conversation that probes deeper than “How are you today? I’m fine, thank you.” 

So in order for me to fully grow up, I must be willing to let go.  Good Bye Fear.  Don’t call and please don’t write.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Force of Divorce (part 1)

I don’t think we truly understand what divorce is and why God hates it. For example, if I gave you the Merriam Webster’s definition of divorce, the action or instance of legally dissolving a marriage , more than likely you'll find that definition insufficient. If you are divorced or your parents are divorced, you know that definition lacks depth and substance. It’s like a survivor of a devastating hurricane describing his experience as “I witnessed a tropical cyclone with winds of 156 mph that was accompanied by heavy rain thunder and lightning.” You know that surviving a category 5 hurricane is bit more involved than announcing a weather report. (Ask anyone who survived Hurricane Katrina.) And yet every survivor’s story is unique and personal. I especially believe we don’t get what divorce does to our children. I’m not saying that I completely understand it either. I’ve never been divorced, (not even close), but I do know how it affected me as a kid. ...

Day 19: Write in Someone Else’s Voice

The Coward The boy’s voice awakened the man.   He found shelter in the abandoned school, in what was once, his school, his office.   Eleven, twelve, and thirteen year old students once ran down those halls, hurrying to their classes, hurrying to his English class. Now since the incident, no children survived that massacre.   That thought made the man shake with fear until he drifted off to sleep.   So when the man heard the boy’s voice screaming “Help Me!, Please Help Me!”   it shook the man from his sleep.   The man laid still.   His heart pounded as he waited to hear boy again.   “Help me! Please Somebody!” The man heard the boy loud and clear.   He could not pretend it was some animal or dream.   He knew it was a boy. And it paralyzed him.   The man clutched his knees to his chest and tucked his chin.   He took slow deep breaths, silent breaths, hoping the boy would believe he was on his own, ...

Real with God, Real with Life

One of the most entertaining, but pointless interactions with my kids is when they are telling me what they think I want to hear. They, of course, disagree because they're at a point of desperation. They're trying to convince me of something they think they want or need, all the while hoping that my already made up mind will change. When it doesn't, it's usually the end of the world. Again. In the process of growing closer to God, He made me aware of a similar pattern in own my life. For example, if I was in need of something from God, I thought it would be better to tell Him what I thought He wanted to hear from me, rather than what I really wanted to say. I struggled between feelings of guilt and a desire to express my maturity. The result usually ended up with me not being completely honest with myself and God. I've seen so many preachers endorsing a "blab it and grab it" approach to relating to God and calling it "holiness". I never...