Skip to main content

Day 22: Write About Fear


Fear:  to be afraid something or someone.  What do I fear? I’m in a room filled with 100’s people, excited filled with anticipation.  I’m standing in the back of room waiting for my name to be called, going over my notes.  My name is called.  I make my way up to the front of the room and there’s a dead silence.  It’s in that silence that I experience fear.  I think back to those horrific moments in school when I stuttered so bad that I needed a speech therapist.  Having the words in my mind, but they’re trapped, held hostage by my terror. 

When I was a kid, there were times when I  was afraid to answer the phone.  I remember one time, the phone rang, I picked it up and I discovered that it was my Dad.  My Dad that lived in California, when I lived in Louisiana.  I was terrified. My dad kept saying “Hello?, Hello?”I was paralyzed.  I could not speak.  I can’t remember if I hung up the phone, but I sure wanted to crawl in a hole and not come out until I wasn’t a freak again.

I’m driving to a destination that I have to be at certain time.  I’ve never been there before and I miss my turn.  Where am I going?  Did I miss my turn? Did I not get to my turn?  I’m going to late!  I am afraid of being lost.  When I was a kid, my family went on a family picnic.  There was a wooded area near by and some of the kids ran into the woods to play.  I ran behind them to play.  I could hear their voices laughing and yelling.  I tried to follow their voices to find them.  But then all of sudden, there was silence. I couldn’t hear a soul. I looked around and I’m alone and lost.  Like, I’m the only kid in the woods kind of lost.  The sun is going down. it’s getting late and no one is coming from me. That’s a fear where I am just hopeless.

It’s  a Saturday night and my eighteen year old son is downtown or over a friend’s house.  I expect him to be home at a certain time and he’s late.  I can’t sleep until he walks through the door.  Where is he?  Did he lie to me?  Is he standing in front of a policeman trying to pass a sobriety test?  Was he in an accident?  When has he text me back?  I fear his death more than my own.  A parent’s fear is hard to express without sounding overprotected or overbearing.  We think the worst when our fears are allowed roam in our thoughts without a leash. 

I’ve learned how to face my fears in order to conquer the challenges before me.  God at times initiates those experiences when I have to face my fears head on, if I want to receive that breakthrough.  He gives me peace that I cannot understand!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Force of Divorce (part 1)

I don’t think we truly understand what divorce is and why God hates it. For example, if I gave you the Merriam Webster’s definition of divorce, the action or instance of legally dissolving a marriage , more than likely you'll find that definition insufficient. If you are divorced or your parents are divorced, you know that definition lacks depth and substance. It’s like a survivor of a devastating hurricane describing his experience as “I witnessed a tropical cyclone with winds of 156 mph that was accompanied by heavy rain thunder and lightning.” You know that surviving a category 5 hurricane is bit more involved than announcing a weather report. (Ask anyone who survived Hurricane Katrina.) And yet every survivor’s story is unique and personal. I especially believe we don’t get what divorce does to our children. I’m not saying that I completely understand it either. I’ve never been divorced, (not even close), but I do know how it affected me as a kid. ...

Day 19: Write in Someone Else’s Voice

The Coward The boy’s voice awakened the man.   He found shelter in the abandoned school, in what was once, his school, his office.   Eleven, twelve, and thirteen year old students once ran down those halls, hurrying to their classes, hurrying to his English class. Now since the incident, no children survived that massacre.   That thought made the man shake with fear until he drifted off to sleep.   So when the man heard the boy’s voice screaming “Help Me!, Please Help Me!”   it shook the man from his sleep.   The man laid still.   His heart pounded as he waited to hear boy again.   “Help me! Please Somebody!” The man heard the boy loud and clear.   He could not pretend it was some animal or dream.   He knew it was a boy. And it paralyzed him.   The man clutched his knees to his chest and tucked his chin.   He took slow deep breaths, silent breaths, hoping the boy would believe he was on his own, ...

Real with God, Real with Life

One of the most entertaining, but pointless interactions with my kids is when they are telling me what they think I want to hear. They, of course, disagree because they're at a point of desperation. They're trying to convince me of something they think they want or need, all the while hoping that my already made up mind will change. When it doesn't, it's usually the end of the world. Again. In the process of growing closer to God, He made me aware of a similar pattern in own my life. For example, if I was in need of something from God, I thought it would be better to tell Him what I thought He wanted to hear from me, rather than what I really wanted to say. I struggled between feelings of guilt and a desire to express my maturity. The result usually ended up with me not being completely honest with myself and God. I've seen so many preachers endorsing a "blab it and grab it" approach to relating to God and calling it "holiness". I never...