Skip to main content

The Lie (Day 3 of writing challenge)

-->
Wife: where have you been?
Husband:  You’re not going to believe this, sweetie
Wife:  You got that right.
Husband: I was at the gas station up the street and all of sudden there was the dude staggering in the middle of the road.
Wife:  Some dude?
Husband: Yeah! Some dude wearing tights and cape!
Wife: tights and cape.
Husband: Yeah! and a “S” on his chest!
Wife: Really? You saw superman?
Husband: No, no don’t call him that! He gets really mad when you call him that.
Wife: Really?
Husband: Yeah. but anyway, dude walks up to me and says “hold this for me.”
Wife: What was it?
Husband: a ring! a diamond ring.
Wife: what happened to it?
Husband: I’m getting to that.  Anyway, he gave me this ring and when I looked around, this other dude pulls up with this black…car, some giant sports tank looking thing.  He pulls up and jumps out of the car and runs in the gas station.
Wife: Wearing black and pointy ears?
Husband:  how did you know? Anyway, his cape gets stuck in the car door and it rips!  The dude with the s, starts laughing and pointing at the guy in black tights. I guess the dude had to pee really bad!
Wife:  Batman had to pee.
Husband: Batman? Who the heck is Batman? There were no bats!
Wife: Sorry. Then what happened?
Husband: The dude in the black runs in the men’s room and this kid in green underwear jumps out and runs in the store.  I’m standing there staring at him and he turns around to me and says “I need some jerky!”
Wife: Robin likes beef jerky?
Husband: Robin? What…
Wife: Nevermind.  What happened to the ring?
Husband:  I’m getting to that!  Anyway little man goes in and get jerky and out comes the dude in the black tights he walks right up to the guy with the S on his chest, tugs on his cape and slaps him in the face.
Wife:  Batman slaps Superman?
Husband: Whatever. Yes, he slapped him, okay?
Wife: Then?
Husband: Then the S chested guy turns to me and says “You believe this guy?” and I’m like “guys, guys” And then some bald headed dude in a robot suit walks up and slaps both of those guys and I’m like “Oh Snap!” The bald headed dude then walks up to me and asked me for five dollars.
Wife: five dollars?
Husband: I know! weird right? Well I gave him five dollars and that’s when he see the ring in my hand. “Where did you get that ring?” he says to me. And I’m like, he gave it to me and the s chested guy starts screaming at him like “you idiot!”Im like “what, what?”  And the black tights guy says to me “It was a surprise gift”.
Wife: really?
Husband: I know, right? How am I supposed to know that?
Wife: So what did you do?
Husband: I gave the ring to the kid and he drove off in the tank car.  Said he was taking the ring to Mordor or something.
Wife: (pauses) You got my funyuns?
Husband: right here.
Wife: Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Force of Divorce (part 1)

I don’t think we truly understand what divorce is and why God hates it. For example, if I gave you the Merriam Webster’s definition of divorce, the action or instance of legally dissolving a marriage , more than likely you'll find that definition insufficient. If you are divorced or your parents are divorced, you know that definition lacks depth and substance. It’s like a survivor of a devastating hurricane describing his experience as “I witnessed a tropical cyclone with winds of 156 mph that was accompanied by heavy rain thunder and lightning.” You know that surviving a category 5 hurricane is bit more involved than announcing a weather report. (Ask anyone who survived Hurricane Katrina.) And yet every survivor’s story is unique and personal. I especially believe we don’t get what divorce does to our children. I’m not saying that I completely understand it either. I’ve never been divorced, (not even close), but I do know how it affected me as a kid. ...

Day 19: Write in Someone Else’s Voice

The Coward The boy’s voice awakened the man.   He found shelter in the abandoned school, in what was once, his school, his office.   Eleven, twelve, and thirteen year old students once ran down those halls, hurrying to their classes, hurrying to his English class. Now since the incident, no children survived that massacre.   That thought made the man shake with fear until he drifted off to sleep.   So when the man heard the boy’s voice screaming “Help Me!, Please Help Me!”   it shook the man from his sleep.   The man laid still.   His heart pounded as he waited to hear boy again.   “Help me! Please Somebody!” The man heard the boy loud and clear.   He could not pretend it was some animal or dream.   He knew it was a boy. And it paralyzed him.   The man clutched his knees to his chest and tucked his chin.   He took slow deep breaths, silent breaths, hoping the boy would believe he was on his own, ...

Real with God, Real with Life

One of the most entertaining, but pointless interactions with my kids is when they are telling me what they think I want to hear. They, of course, disagree because they're at a point of desperation. They're trying to convince me of something they think they want or need, all the while hoping that my already made up mind will change. When it doesn't, it's usually the end of the world. Again. In the process of growing closer to God, He made me aware of a similar pattern in own my life. For example, if I was in need of something from God, I thought it would be better to tell Him what I thought He wanted to hear from me, rather than what I really wanted to say. I struggled between feelings of guilt and a desire to express my maturity. The result usually ended up with me not being completely honest with myself and God. I've seen so many preachers endorsing a "blab it and grab it" approach to relating to God and calling it "holiness". I never...